Location of Munyu Multipurpose project
- It is located close highly populated agricultural and industrial Thika county and environs.
- Located in dry and highly suitable vast land for irrigation.
- Existence of smallholder schemes in the floodplain downstream Fourteen falls via canal to Yatta plateau.
- potential of a major irrigation scheme at Kibwezi covering about 13,000 ha, with two river intake structures and some 80 km of canal ranging up to 20m3/s capacity.
- Additional hydro power supply to national grid.
Munyu Multipurpose Reservoir (MMR) will have water storage capacity of 600 million cumecs, hydropower generation of over 40 MW and Irrigation potential of 30,000 Ha in Athi Basin
The development will increase the current installed power by 40MW, improve horticultural exports and stimulate other sectors of the economy such as tourism and agro industrial development improved water supply for Nairobi, Mombasa and Thika cities
Provision of water for irrigation to communities in Makueni, Kiambu and machakos counties